Tuesday, April 22, 2014

Recipe Test Tuesdays - Wild Violet Jelly

Never made it before but so far so good.


Gathered my wild violets out of the yard then rinsed them under cold water. I'm surprised I got 2 heaping cups of these bad boys for the recipe I found. Took a while to get them picked. Who knows what people thought I was doing out in the yard.



So I boiled water and poured it over the top of the violets in a pyrex bowl to steep. I'll put them in the fridge and pull this out in the morning and make my jelly from the violet tea I made.


So I took the violets in their 'tea' and poured them through a strainer into a glass measuring cup. I added 1/4 C of lemon juice and it turned a purple color from this sick looking greenish color that it was. Poured it into a non-reactive pot. I set aside another bowl and put the 4 Cups of Sugar and 1 box of Sure Jel pectin and stirred it up. Poured it into the pot with the Violets and warmed it up to medium high and stirred it up. When it tried to foam I cut back the temperature to medium.

When I got done making it, I ended up with 3 1/2 pints of jelly. Mine turned a pinkish color at the end. Next to try a dandelion jelly.

No comments:

Post a Comment