Saturday, April 19, 2014

Making a Kitchen Towel Hanger with Potholder

I decided to follow the lead after seeing a video on how to make these things. Of course we all know what one person does well... might end up as a fail if we do it. So needless to say, I had one of those experiences while making this for the first time.

Okay so with this project you'll need 1 potholder with the thingy you can hang it with and a matching or coordinating kitchen towel folded in thirds lengthwise.

You will place the Potholder pretty side up. Then... take your towel and lay it on the potholder pretty side down. This will be totally centered over the potholder as the line straight in the middle of the potholder. You will spread the towel to cover to the sides of the potholder. Pin in place and stitch a straight stitch size 4 length across the towel with the potholder under it. Flip the potholder in half and place a button on the side opposite the hanging loop. Then loop to close. This can hang from an oven door handle or towel bar. I didn't have buttons so I substituted the plastic snaps you see people make diaper covers with. I used size 20.



I first tried this on the thinking that you gather the towel in the middle with the basting stitch. WRONG! It didn't look good at all to me. I like how these lay better and when you hang them from the towel bar. I'll be making more now that I have this method DOWN! Just make sure that you choose patterns on the pot holder that won't be upside down when coordinating. It's really fun to make and can be made for as little as $2.00 each like these were from Dollar General. 

No comments:

Post a Comment