Saturday, April 12, 2014

How to beat the Cake Mix Companies at their own game!

It is frustrating to buy a cake mix at the store and pay some really HIGH prices for them to only make a 1" thick cake when it is all said and done. I can't afford name brand so knowing that they also come in generic kind of helps but they are also too expensive for what they give you. So for this blog posting today I will help you get the cake back to the original box size they used to give us and your cake WILL be a little bit taller.

Boxed Cake Mix Stretcher

1 egg
2 Tbsp oil
1/3 C Water
1 tsp baking powder
3/4 C flour (all-purpose is perfectly fine)
1/2 C granulated sugar

Prepare your cake with the ingredients stated on your package. Then add the above ingredients to the recipe. Mix according to the package instructions. Baking time and temperature will be the same as what the box says.

So when you make this in a 9x13 cake pan.... it will turn out nice and thick and YUMMY!
Sorry we got into it already, but it was GOOD! Here's my funky artwork using the left over colored sugar from my cookies I baked yesterday and used the melon baller to make the swirlies. The recipe for the frosting follows!

Buttercream Wedding Cake Icing: 
2 C Powdered Sugar
3/4 C shortening
2 egg whites
pinch of salt
1 tsp vanilla

Mix all ingredients together and beat for 8-10 minutes. Recipe taken from: Family Favorites - From the Kitchen of the Brenneman Family Mennonite cookbook. Page 148




2 comments:

  1. why not just make a cake from scratch, instead of adding to what already has a lot of preservative crud in it?

    ReplyDelete
  2. I had bought some boxes of cake mix when they were on sale and I'm trying to get rid of them so I can make up my mixes in the jars. I figured I'd share a hint to make the most to stretch the cake mix out for others who didn't know it could be done. I plan on testing the cake master mix recipes before I post them to the blog as well. I want to make sure they are easy enough to make for someone who isn't comfortable in their kitchen.

    ReplyDelete