Monday, March 24, 2014

Laundry on the Cheap! Quit giving your money to the BIG companies!

Here's your penny pincher post of the day. As with this blog being my go to page with like personal favorite bookmarks for items we use in our daily lives, I will post pages to save them for you or my kids to be able to look up without fighting with Google Search.

Here's my story about stepping away from those horrible plastic jugs of overpriced laundry soap. Last summer I found this awesome recipe online at Budget 101 for the Laundry Sauce.

 http://www.budget101.com/myo-household-items/whipped-cream-super-laundry-soap-3993.html

My first recipe was made with Dove soap with the rose scent and it was okay. It smelled good so I made a little more. Second batch oozed over the top of the stove since I didn't keep stirring it like I should have. LOL! At least my stove got a good cleaning! The third time I made it was with the Fels Naptha bar as it shows in the recipe. I grated it and set it aside. The toddler decided to try it because he thought it was cheese. Needless to say, he won't try that again! I also set it up out of his reach, so keep that in mind when you have little helpers around. I'm needing to make more this week to restock the pantry.

Here's the ingredients for those of you to buy to make this and then make sure you bookmark the page the recipe is on as it gives a step by step walk-through on making it with PICTURES!

Mom's Super Laundry Sauce

Fels Naptha Bar
20 Mule Team Borax
Arm & Hammer Washing Soda (not baking soda!)
2 Regular Mouth Quart Jars -- with lids and rings
Blender 

You will pay less for all these ingredients that will give you enough soap for approximately 128 loads of laundry. It averages about $2 or less per jar as the borax and washing soda makes about 3 batches overall. The jars can be bought at second hand stores for as little as 25 cents each and you can re-use lids and rings from your canning endeavors. Check tomorrow's post on canning if you haven't gotten involved in that highly addicting past time.

Thanks for stopping by to read my page! Hope this helps you to keep a few dollars in your pocket so you can save it for something fun for yourself!




No comments:

Post a Comment